Consequences and what you should do if you make a mistake when filing the 2022/23 Income Statement

The Income Statement is not easy to fill out. You have to take into account a lot of boxes of all kinds, personal variables and elements that you must include that you had no idea about.

It is therefore normal make a mistake when filing the return and since it is already in the hands of the Treasury, you do not know how to act.

If you are in this situation, calm down. Do not panic: the Treasury is aware of this problem suffered by thousands of taxpayers year after year and offers several solutions to solve the error.

The first thing to keep in mind is if the error with your declaration favors you or the Treasurysince you will have to act in a different way depending on the case and that you have a maximum period of time to correct errors before it can lead to a possible fine.

What happens if the error with your Income Tax return favors you

You finish the declaration, you send it and the rent comes out to return and not to pay. The problem? It is due to a possible mistake that you have made while filling out the draft of the 2022/23 Income.

What can you do in this case? The best thing is to present a complementary declaration, which basically consists of a declaration that you prepare from scratch, but this time you modify the erroneous data.

The process is simple. All you have to do is enter the Renta WEB system and access the section Draft / declaration processing service (Renta WEB) with your digital certificate, electronic DNI or Cl@ve.

Once here, you will only have to choose the option Modify a statementindicate the reason and make the changes you consider appropriate to correct the error.

What happens if the error with your income statement favors the Treasury

The opposite case can occur when you end up paying more money to the Treasury or they return less than what corresponds to you.

If this is your case, remedying it is also very simple. Enter this section of the electronic headquarters of the Treasury, access the section Presentation of appeal or request and fill out the form to solve the problem.

If the internet is not your thing, you can also complete the process in a Tax Agency office.

Once the application has been submitted, the Treasury will study your particular case and will reduce your payment or return the corresponding amount that you still owe if applicable.

What consequences can have to present the Income with errors

Do not panic: the Tax Agency cannot impose a penalty on you for making a mistake when filling out the Income statement.

The only thing you should keep in mind is that if you take a long time to fix a bug that favors you, yes, it can carry a fine with a surcharge ranging from 5% to 20% according to the deadlines:

  • 3 months after term: 5% surcharge
  • 6 months after term: 10% surcharge
  • 12 months after term: 15% surcharge
  • More than 12 months: 20% surcharge

In other words, if you do not want to face any surcharge, you must make the changes before June 30, at which time the term for submitting the Income statement ends.